Saturday, July 28, 2012

Brew Day: Texas Bock

Spencer checking his brown
Updates Below

Today we brewed at Spencer's house.  He made a brown ale with brown sugar and I made a Texas bock with a recipe from Austin Homebrew Supply.

This was the first time I used my jet burner propane cooker (now sold as the Outdoor Gourmet Wok Package from Academy).  It sounds like a jet engine during take-off so it was aptly named.  But it does boil the pot pretty quickly.

I had a little trouble getting used to the power of the jet burner so I ended up with a few boil overs.

Notes:
Style: Bock
Fermentation & Aging Time: Appx 3 months (with several temperature changes along the way)
Batch Size: 5 gallons
ABV: 4.5%


Update 9/22/12

I racked into a secondary today. I let it go a little long in the primary, mostly because the 7 gallon bucket was in the refrigerator at 55 degrees and it was out of sight, out of mind.  It was a beautiful dark, golden brown. A little carbonation was floating to the surface as I stoppered the glass carboy.  Just four more weeks in the refrigerator at 40 degrees and it's ready to keg.

Updated 10/13/12

I kegged the bock. The sample I took tasted great.  Final gravity shows 4.5% ABV.

Updated 10/19/12

Poured the first glass tonight.  Malty sweet, light carbonation.  Not bad if I say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment