I decided to do another little experiment. Both will based on EdWort's Apfelwein recipe. One will pull up short and remain a cider while the other will include a pound of wildflower honey and become a cyser. But since it's a public recipe, I'll share exactly what I did.
I created a start 24 hours ahead of time with 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1 packet of Nottingham Ale yeast from Danstar, 1/8 tsp yeast nutrient, and 1/8 tsp yeast energizer.
For the cider I used:
1 gallon apple cider (of the non-fermented variety) from Apple Country OrchardsI heated some juice up to 115° F to thoroughly dissolve the sugar, combined that mixture with the remaining juice (which was slightly cool), and then poured in half the yeast starter (about 1/4 cup) at an appropriate temperature. Starting gravity: 1.060.
4.5 oz corn sugar
For the cyser I used:
- 1 gallon apple cider (of the non-fermented variety) from Apple Country Orchards
- 1 lb wildflower honey
- 4.5 oz corn sugar
I heated some juice (more than with the cider) to 120° to thoroughly dissolve the sugar & honey, combined that mixture with the remaining juice (which was slightly cool), and then poured in half the other half of the yeast starter. Starting gravity: 1.085. I'll have to cut the fermentation short or this could run up to 11% ABV.
Within hours, both bottles were slowly bubbling along with the cyser going a little faster than the cider. After about 18 hours (so when I woke up Monday), I put the bottles (which were bubbling a little more than once a second) into the 68° fermentation chamber (aka, the old refrigerator).
![]() |
| Cider & Cyser, sitting pretty at 68° |
Notes:
Style: Cider & Cyser (Note, Cyser is cider with honey or mead with apple juice, depending on how you want to look at it)
Batch Size: Two 1 gallon batches
ABV:

No comments:
Post a Comment