Sunday, October 7, 2012

Brew Day: Hop Bomb

Updates Below

Batch 11 is just for fun.  I saw the recipe kit on Austin Homebrew's website and thought, "I want to try that sometime."  Then I got a discount coupon for it in another order I made.  So ... here comes the Hop Bomb.  All day the Gap Band's "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" has been running through my head.


Along with being a great song, those are some awesome outfits. I have to get a hat like that.

Four ounces of hops about to go into the pot
Anyway, the Hop Bomb carries a massive 246 IBUs (International Bittering Units).  Compare this to 120 to 150 for most Imperial IPAs, 60 for an English IPA, and closer to 25 for most other styles.  This will either be awesome or paint thinner.

This is the first beer I've made that has included hops in the mash and also the first with dry hopping.  It came with a full pound of hops in six different varieties.  Two ounces went into the mash, nine into the boil.  Another five ounces will go into secondary fermenter to dry hop the brew.

This is also the largest grain bill I've ever had on a homebrew.  16.25 lbs.  Compare that to about 9 lbs for a bock.  Of course, it will need that much grain to balance all the hops. 

Notes:
Style: Imperial (or Double) IPA
Fermentation & Aging Time: Appx 4 weeks
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Update 10/8/12
At 24 hours there was absolutely zero action in the air lock when I walked past the fermenter.  About 10 minutes later I came back by and it was bubbling like crazy.  There was no build up.  It went from zero to 60 in 10 minutes flat.

Update 10/17/12
Racking into the secondary came a couple of days late, but beer is forgiving.  After sanitizing the carboy, I poured in the 5 oz of hops for the dry hopping and began to rack the brew.  There was a full 48 oz of trub lefter over in the bottom of the bucket (I poured it out into a pitcher so see how much there was).

As always, I took a taste.  Honestly, this didn't need dry hopping to be an Imperial IPA.  It was already intense.

Update 11/26/12
BOOM!  The bomb has dropped.  And it's intense.  Wow!  Call it Hog Heaven++.  I drank one 22 oz bottle after having several Shiner Bocks and it was still a bit much to handle.  I like an IPA, but ... wow ... this is a lot of hops.  I believe I'll have to nurse this batch along and share the rest.




No comments:

Post a Comment